Anyone would love the have a straight, radiant smile, but few people are born with naturally perfect teeth. This means that to achieve the movie star smile of your dreams, you may need to seek cosmetic dental treatment, such as braces.
When most people think of orthodontic appliances, they envision a teenager with a mouth full of metal. Luckily, orthodontic treatment has come a long way, giving people of all ages more options than ever to improve the appearance and function of their smiles.
If you're interested in straightening your teeth quickly, conveniently, and discreetly, Invisalign clear aligners could benefit you. Here's what you should know about Invisalign before scheduling your free consultation at Palmetto Dental Arts.
The Benefits of Wearing Braces as an Adult
Braces aren't just for adolescents. Achieving a straighter smile can improve the health and overall quality of life for many adults as well. Here are some of the many ways seeking orthodontic treatment could benefit you, regardless of your age:
- Improving the appearance of your smile and facial structure
- Making it easier for you to bite, chew, and speak
- Making it easier to clean your teeth
- Treating pain
- Boosting self-confidence
- Preventing bone loss
Metal Braces: What to Expect
Metal braces have been the go-to orthodontic solution for decades. Traditional braces consist of metal or ceramic brackets that are individually glued to each tooth in a person's mouth. These brackets are held together by a metal wire that runs between them and is adjusted over time to shift teeth into the desired position.
Since the brackets are glued to the person's teeth, they cannot be removed until the orthodontic treatment is complete. In most cases, people will visit the orthodontist every 4 to 6 weeks to have their braces adjusted and can expect to wear metal braces for around two years depending on the condition of their mouth.
The Pros & Cons of Traditional Braces
Metal braces are a popular orthodontic option because they are very effective at solving both minor and complex dental problems, such as overcrowding, jaw alignment issues, and gapped teeth. They're also a great option for young people who may not be responsible enough to keep up with their removable clear aligners.
On the other hand, metal braces are very noticeable, which some people may not appreciate. They also require certain lifestyle changes to ensure that one's mouth and braces stay in good condition, including:
- Avoiding particular foods, including anything hard, chewy, or sticky
- Wearing a mouthguard while playing sports
- Practicing good oral hygiene habits to keep them free of debris
It is not uncommon for the brackets and wires in metal braces to break, which can be uncomfortable and inconvenient. Likewise, it's normal for one's mouth to be sore and tender following each adjustment.
Invisalign: What to Expect
Many people assume that traditional metal braces are their only option to achieve a straighter, more radiant smile. This simply isn't true. Invisalign clear aligners are an excellent option for people who are searching for a more subtle way to straighten their teeth with minimal changes to their daily lifestyle.
Invisalign is made up of clear, BPA-free plastic trays that are customized to fit a person's mouth perfectly. Unlike metal braces, clear braces can be removed to eat, drink, and brush your teeth. While this is true, it's important that they be worn for at least 22 hours a day in order to effectively move one's teeth in a timely manner.
Rather than visiting the orthodontist once a month to have their metal braces adjusted, people wearing Invisalign clear aligners will receive new aligner trays every two to three weeks that will work to correct their smile in as little as 12-18 months.
The Pros & Cons of Invisalign
There's a reason that patients and dental professionals prefer Invisalign over metal braces. They provide beautiful results in the most convenient manner. Here are some of the many benefits that Invisalign can offer:
- Effective: Invisalign, just like traditional braces, can correct many orthodontic problems.
- Virtually invisible: No one will know that you are undergoing orthodontic treatment.
- Convenient: Eat and drink whatever you like; simply remove your clear aligners to eat, drink, brush, and floss.
- Affordable: In many cases, clear aligners are less expensive and take less time than traditional metal braces.
- Comfortable: Clear aligners are custom-made to fit the shape of your mouth perfectly, you'll never have to worry about them slipping or falling out.
While Invisalign clear aligners can be a wonderful option for many people hoping to improve their crooked smiles, they may not be an option for people with particularly complex orthodontic concerns or for people who are unlikely to wear them as directed, such as young children.
How to Get the Most Out of Invisalign
While Invisalign is a convenient option to enhance the beauty of your smile, it's important to properly care for your teeth and clear aligners while undergoing any orthodontic treatment in order to achieve the best results possible. Here are some ways to help you do just that:
- Follow the dentist's instructions, such as how often to wear your aligner trays
- Practice good oral hygiene habits, including daily brushing and flossing
- Always store your aligner trays in their case when not wearing them
- Rinse your aligner trays with warm water and gently brush with a soft toothbrush after taking them out
- Never bite down on anything while wearing your aligner trays
Schedule Your Free Consultation at Palmetto Dental Arts Today
You deserve to have a healthy, beautiful smile. If you are suffering from the discomfort, embarrassment, or inconvenience of an imperfect smile, the experienced dental team at Palmetto Dental Arts can help. With Invisalign clear aligners, you can achieve the straight, symmetrical smile you've always wanted as quickly and conveniently as possible without anyone knowing you're wearing an orthodontic appliance.
Contact us to schedule your free consultation and take the first step in achieving the smile you've always wanted today. We can't wait to see you smile!