If you're unhappy with the color of your teeth, professional teeth whitening may be the answer that you're looking for. This cosmetic procedure can help remove stains and discoloration, giving you a brighter, more attractive smile. Although many home treatments can help whiten your teeth, professional teeth whitening offers superior results and several benefits worth considering.
Causes of Teeth Discoloration
- Aging. As you age, the outer layer of your teeth (the enamel) may become thinner and more transparent, revealing the yellowish dentin underneath. This can cause your teeth to appear darker.
- Consumption of certain foods and beverages. The consumption of certain foods and beverages, such as coffee, tea, red wine, and tobacco, can cause your teeth to become stained or discolored over time.
- Poor oral hygiene. If you don't brush and floss your teeth regularly, it can lead to the buildup of plaque and tartar, which can cause your teeth to become yellow or discolored.
- Trauma. If you have experienced trauma to your mouth, such as a broken tooth or an injury to your gums, it can cause permanent discoloration of your teeth.
- Certain medical conditions. With certain medical conditions, such as excessive consumption of fluoride or the use of certain medications, tooth discoloration can occur.
There are many different causes of discolored teeth, and it is important to identify the specific cause to determine the most appropriate treatment.
Is Professional Teeth Whitening Safe?
When it comes to improving the appearance of your smile, professional teeth whitening is a safe, non-invasive, affordable, and effective option. This cosmetic procedure has been around for decades and has been thoroughly tested and studied by dental professionals. With proper care and attention, teeth whitening can be performed safely, with minimal risk of side effects or complications. Two distinguishing factors make professional teeth whitening the best option for discolored teeth.
1. Professional teeth whitening is performed by qualified dental experts.
These professionals are trained and experienced in administering the treatment. As a result, they can identify any potential issues or contraindications beforehand. This helps to ensure that the treatment is performed safely and effectively.
A trained dental professional is preferred for teeth whitening because of their deeper knowledge of the oral cavity. Certain problems with the teeth and gums can complicate teeth whitening and hamper the results. Dentists can detect these problems and correct them before whitening your teeth.
2. Dentists have access to medical-grade, higher-concentration bleaching agents.
Another factor that contributes to the safety of professional teeth whitening is the use of high-quality, FDA-approved bleaching agents. These agents are specifically designed for use on teeth and are formulated to be gentle and non-irritating. When used as directed, they can help to remove stains and discoloration without causing harm to the teeth or gums.
Five Benefits of Professional Teeth Whitening
- Improved appearance. One of the main benefits of professional teeth whitening is that it can improve the appearance of your smile. Removing stains and discoloration can make your teeth look brighter, cleaner, and more attractive.
- Increased confidence. Professional teeth whitening can also help boost your confidence and self-esteem. A brighter, more attractive smile is often associated with youth, health, and attractiveness. Many feel more confident after whitening their teeth.
- Enhanced oral hygiene. Professional teeth whitening can also help improve your oral hygiene. Removing stains and discoloration can make it easier to brush and floss your teeth effectively, which can help prevent the buildup of plaque and tartar. This can ultimately lead to a lower risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Convenience. Professional teeth whitening is relatively quick and convenient. In-office treatments can usually be completed in just a single visit, lasting about two hours. Take-home kits are even more convenient, as you can use them at your own pace and in the comfort of your own home.
- Customization. Another benefit of professional teeth whitening is that it can be customized to your specific needs and goals. Your dental professional will be able to assess the condition of your teeth and gums and determine the best treatment plan for you, ensuring that you get the best possible results.
What Is Zoom Teeth Whitening?
The oral health professionals at Palmetto Dental Arts use Zoom! In-office professional teeth whitening to whiten your teeth and enhance your smile.
Zoom in-office teeth whitening is a cosmetic dental treatment to whiten and brighten your teeth and enhance your smile. It is used by the oral health professionals at Palmetto Dental Arts as part of their cosmetic dental services. It typically takes a couple of hours to complete.
The treatment begins with a thorough cleaning of the teeth to remove any plaque or tartar. The dental professional will then apply a special bleaching gel to the teeth and activate it using a specialized light or laser. The light or laser helps to accelerate the bleaching process, resulting in faster and more dramatic results.
After the treatment is complete, the dental professional will rinse and dry your teeth and may apply a fluoride treatment to help strengthen and protect them.
Overall, Zoom in-office teeth whitening is a fast, convenient, and effective way to improve the appearance of your smile. With proper care and maintenance, you can enjoy a brighter, more confident smile for years to come.
Is Professional Teeth Whitening Permanent?
No professional teeth whitening technique is permanent. The effects of the treatment can last for several months or even up to a year, depending on the individual and their oral hygiene habits, diet, and other factors. To maintain the whitened color of your teeth, you may need to touch up with at-home whitening products or receive additional professional treatments. It is also important to practice good oral hygiene, including brushing and flossing regularly and avoiding foods and drinks that can stain your teeth.
However, there are a few permanent options for whitening discolored teeth:
- Dental bonding. This involves applying a tooth-colored resin to the surface of the tooth to cover up discoloration.
- Porcelain veneers. These thin shells of porcelain are custom-made to fit over the front of your teeth. They can be used to cover up a wide range of imperfections, including discoloration.
- Dental crowns. Like veneers, crowns are custom-made to fit over the entire tooth. They can be used to cover up severe discoloration or to protect a tooth that has been damaged.
It is important to note that these options may require multiple visits to the dentist and cost more than professional teeth whitening. It's always a good idea to discuss your options with a dental professional to determine the best course of treatment for your specific needs.
Schedule an Appointment
Contact us online or call us to learn more about Zoom! teeth whitening and other cosmetic dental services offered at Palmetto Dental Arts.